Thursday, December 3, 2009

Happy Thanksgving(s)!

This year I thought I would have zero Thanksgiving, seeing as it is an American holiday and [surprise, surprise] I am currently in South Africa. But instead of zero, I had three! Three great Thanksgivings and I shared/forced my culture with/on the people around me.
Having lived across the country for college, I was used to spending Thanksgiving away from family... but last year I was invited home with Andrew's family for Thanksgiving and it was amazing. AMAZING. It felt so good to be with a family again. Because of this, I wanted to bring that Thanksgiving happiness with me in South Africa.
Thanksgiving #1 happened at work on Thursday, the actual Thanksgiving day. It was a potluck style lunch, which initially was met with some resentment but eventually was a welcomed experience. We had curry and rice, lots of bread, potato chips, etc. I wrote "Happy Thanksgiving" at the front of the room and drew pilgram hats and Native American headbands around it, covered the table in fall leaves and an orange table cloth. I explained what Thanksgiving was, Thabani blessed the food in Zulu prayer, and we feasted. It was a bit stressful tyring to get them to participate, but I think everyone was happy in the end.

A beautiful day in late November, a roasted turkey, fresh apple cider, a crowded kitchen, tables decorated with colorful fall leaves, great company, and food as far as the eye can see... Sounds like any typical American Thanksgiving. Over the weekend I was fortunate to go to Shelly Beach with all the Youth for Christ volunteers. We had a very international Thanksgiving indeed, and I got to share my holiday with people from Germany, Australia, Holland, Belgium and South Africa that day. It was DELICIOUS and how amazing is it to spend a day next to the beautiful and warm Indian Ocean and then feast that night? I made apple cider from scratch and a new version of monkey bread. It was soooo good. Of course I decorated again with my orange table cloth and fall leaves [thank you, Mommy], this time also adorning the table with fall-colored candles.

Shelly Beach was fun itself, and I would wake up early to watch the sunrise over the ocean and at one point got stuck in the wave-less section of the ocean on a boogie board... Not being the strongest swimmer, I got scared and said, "God, please send me a wave to get me back." Immediately a small wave came. "Okay, but a bigger one." A huge wave came and I boogie boarded all the way back to shore. Didn't try that again. In the end I came back with a mean sunburn on my back [oops, I swear I put on sunscreen], a full stomach, and a wonderful weekend!


My last Thanksgiving took place the first day of December with my Bible study group. They are so funny. It all started with this desire that they have to try this obscure American dessert called pumpkin pie. Everyone came to the church early bringing different foods to make up the most "traditional' Thanksgiving possible: cranberry sauce, turkey, green beanns, mashed potatos, stuffing, and... "pumpkin pie" [which actually went from the intented pumpkin filling with pumpkin spice to butternut filling with nutmeg, haha]. It was great and they were so "keen" to having an American Thanksgiving. The pastor at the church was so happy when I sent out the email for the Thanksgiving that he came and gave me a huge hug because he was so excited [he was in America once for Thanksgiving and declared it his favorite holiday]. The food was great and it was also a great Bible study that evening. It was so awesome and I had so much fun!

I learned over the course of my Thanksgivings that:
1. Thanksgiving should be an international holiday, because it applies to everyone [well, except for the pilgrims and Indians part].
2. I love the holidays, especially family-oriented holidays... and food-oriented ones.
3. I enjoy sharing my experiences with others.
3. I am really good at making apple cider and monkey bread from scratch, and I can make a mean mashed potatoes. In fact, i just really love baking/cooking [I made homemade honey & cinnamon cheesecake for fun last night]!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!