Monday, January 18, 2010

Phase Two.

This week was interesting. A time to think hard about transitioning to a new organization, I was worried that I would end up locking myself into something that wouldn't be fulfilling. I am pretty much done with Thandanani-- I turned in the organization evaluations I was working on [30 pages long!] and this week I will be working on a curriculum manual for the Life Skills program this week... and then I will be done! Oh no. Where do I go? What do I do? Can I just be a nomad and travel aimlessly around the country?
I had contacted some NGOs and actually had some options: iKhaya LikaBaba, an orphanage for babies [!!!], African Enterprise, which was keen for me to do some of their social development work, Trail of Hope, founded by a former street kid who is trying to motorbike around Africa to help other street kids, and I even contemplated just hopping on an airplane to Haiti to do emergency disaster relief with Hands On Disaster Response. I liked all of these options, but all of them seemed to be missing something... I didn't feel 100% excited for any of them. Being in a baby orphanage would be so fun, but I learned at Lily that when you are in an orphange all you learn is the culture of... the orphanage; you stay within these walls and haven't the slightest idea of what the Zulu culture is like outside. I am a huge culture-seeker-learner, so I realized I would like to continue somewhere that does their work out in the communities. I had little issues like that with almost all the plans... and I just didn't know what the Rockefeller Fellowship committee would think about me jetting off to Haiti... [but I don't think they would mind too much]. I had all these teriffic options, yet I was still a bit depressed about it all. I felt so "blah," so useless.
I sat down and had to think long and hard about what I really wanted to leave with when I fly back on July 1st [just booked my flight!]... What is important to me: culture and community, education, children, photography... all the things which I stated were my goals when I was interviewed about it for The Crimson in December 2008. I kinda wanted to keep somewhat to my original intentions and leave South Africa feeling confident that I figured out why I was actually meant to be here.
So, I've figured it out. I am setting out on my own, doing my own thing. And I am excited. I took the idea to the director at Thandanani and he actually said he wants Thadnanani to be in on it, so I already have some support there. I have written a rough-draft proposal, I have made a rough-draft website [this is what I spent all Sunday doing]. Tonight I am getting a phone call from someone who has done a similar thing to get tips on it. An organization in Ohio is bringing up my proposal at their board meeting on the 27th to see how they can help. I know this is the right thing to do, because I am just so darn excited about it. Let's cross our fingers and see if it will work [and work within the time frame I have left here].

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I think this is the best option. Right now, I think Haiti needs super-tech assist to get through these initial weeks. Subsequently there will be a *huge* rebuilding effort wherein I hope that the international community can be coordinated and directed in a fashion that leads to progressive development. What currently occurs is there are a number of NGOs with a number of different priorities working on disparate projects without a concerted direction. Now, this is partly due to the difficulty w/Haiti's governance over many decades, however, within this destruction I see some opportunity to "do things right". However, this is all predicated upon the ability of the government to take all of this goodwill and channel it in a direction that is going to move the country forward in a more comprehensive fashion. Lots of people doing lots of disparate projects for a nation that really needs to rebuild makes it challenging.
    Anyhow, that's a total aside. I'm very happy for your progress and decision! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!