Monday, January 18, 2010

Umhlaba Wami

What can I do that combines my love for culture, mentoring, community, teaching, creativity, philanthropy, children, photography and education? I was invited to a private screening of "Born into Brothels" at a conference in 2004 [before the documentary went to theaters and won all the awards], and it sparked an interest in me... it is a shame that I didn't think of it until now.


I would like to introduce to you The Umhlaba Wami Photography Project.
Umhlaba Wami’s Vision:

To build confidence, community, and creativity in South Africa’s disadvantaged children.

Umhlaba Wami’s Mission:
Umhlaba Wami, meaning "My World" in Zulu, aims to teach the art of photography to marginalized children in communities of South Africa’s KwaZulu Natal province. Photography will be used to capture the imaginations of children and to empower them, building confidence, self-esteem and hope. Focusing on art and further English language acquisition, Umhlaba Wami will strengthen the children's education and general well-being. All donations and revenue generated through the project will go toward school supplies and scholarships for the photographers, support to development projects of participating schools and community development.

Participants in the Umhlaba Wami Photography Project will be identified orphans living in the uMgungundlovu township communities that I worked with through Thandanani. The children in these communities are growing up in vulnerable situations due to having to care for dying parents, having to cope with the loss of their parents, the loss and lack of material security in extreme poverty, and losing their childhood by having to take on adult roles early in their lives.
Hopefully, with the help of Zulu language translators, the project can also be extended to the caregivers of these orphans; if I can find the time, I would also like to extend this project to the local shelters for street children... but I know this is a lot to ask for in less than 6 months.
Let me tell you just some of the reasons this would be awesome:
- Education: One purpose of Umhlaba Wami is to counter the lack of arts education in South African public schools. Through photography workshops learners will be able to acquire basic photography skills and enhanced visual literacy. The workshops will largely be conducted in English, giving the children an opportunity to practice both their written and oral English as they develop their own work. Engaging in these activities will hopefully spur a desire to commit to education and be more involved in their studies outside of photography.
- Creativity: The photography will provide the children with a creative outlet as they document their world through their own eyes. They have the opportunity to visually represent their community, country and culture, also giving them a forum to address issues and celebrate successes. Students will engage in self-expression and critical thinking.
- Confidence: Umhlaba Wami participants will have their talents validated and supported through their photography mentor and other students. By using an alternative and new outlet for self-expression, they will develop confidence in expressing their views and making their own statements. Considering that most all of the children participating are orphans, this project will give them the opportunity to rebuild emotionally and self-reflect as they document their world and develop valuable life skills.
- Community: Umhlaba Wami provides a supportive atmosphere, a safe haven where children can express themselves candidly and understand each others’ lives. Participants in the project will not only have the opportunity to develop close relationships with their peers, they will also be provided a mentor who not only strives to educate them, but also attend to their emotional needs. The peer review workshops will ensure that Through their photography assignments they will be able to engage their community in their work and in their aspirations.
- Global Citizenship: Hopefully the work of the Umhlaba Wami children will have an opportunity to be displayed—not only in their classrooms of just in South Africa, but also overseas. Giving the children an opportunity to display their work in other countries will not only validate their talents and hopefully secure donations. Their photographs will provide cross-cultural understanding and raise social awareness. Umhlaba Wami will allow others some insight into the lives of these children—the issues that they face and the joys they celebrate in a constantly evolving country.
- Hope for the Future: This is a project that will get these children off of the streets and in a nurturing environment with a caring mentor. With further skills in the arts and a portfolio of their work given to them, Umhlaba Wami aims to show the long-term benefit of pursuing an artistic passion; hopefully the confidence grown through participating in the project will encourage them to stay in school and graduate, focusing their next steps on university schooling and/or building a career. Money gained through the project will go towards scholarships and school supplies for the participants, a valuable contribution towards easing the financial hardships on their families and a platform for a successful future where they can pursue their dreams.
Children experience the power of the creative process, discover a means of constructive self expression, and learn important life skills and values such as setting and achieving goals. They experience pride in and celebrate their accomplishments together with their mentors.

I also have many goals for this project, and we will see how far we can go!
Immediate and Primary Goals:
To further develop creativity, confidence and community amongst the participants; all the before-mentioned outcomes mentioned above.
Give participants a photo album of their best work to keep, possibly use as a portfolio.
Post progress and photos on the internet to share the story.
Keep in contact with children after workshops to mind progression.
Any financial revenue created going towards participating childrens’ school supplies and bursaries.
2nd Phase Goals:
Be able to extend the lessons to the caregivers of orphans in township communities.
Have work displayed locally—school, Natal Museum, etc. Get coverage in the Natal Witness and other publications
Further financial donations used for development projects at participating schools.
3rd Phase Goals:
Extend workshops to other children, including those at orphanages and street shelters.
Create a global movement: network with galleries in other countries to create fundraising events.
Create alternate products such as calendars to sell and get donations
Further financial donations used to support projects of partnering NGOs
4th Phase Goals:
Make a way for Umhlaba Wami to become a sustainable program past June 2010.
So this is basically what I am trying to do, but everything is just a bunch of rough draft ideas in my head currently:

Identify orphans and vulnerable children [OVCs] through Thandanani Children’s Foundation. Secure a location, ideally a classroom at one of the local community schools. Meet with each student twice a week: group lessons, individual mentor sessions, and peer critiques. Dispense cameras to group 3 times over the course of the workshops. Develop curriculum that includes basics of photography theory and life-enrichment topics. At the end of the workshop, have a little party, students will create a "portfolio" of their best work...and we will see where it goes from there.

So I basically just gave you guys most all of my proposal... sorry... when I am excited about something I cannot help but to share it all. I knew this would be a long post. I am not sure how I am going to do all of this [looking at the budget, I admit I am a tad concerned], but I know it will work out... as of right now this is just my brain child. I made the beginnings of a website: www.umhlabawami.webs.com and if you are interested in seeing the proposal let me know. If you are stoked about this too and want to help out, contact me and we will talk. I cannot tell you how excited I am to dig deep into this and see how much I can get done in the next few months before I leave.

1 comment:

  1. hey b,
    now, i don't know much about photography or creativity writ large, but if i can help in any way, defs let me know.
    regarding the next steps of getting exhibits in other museums, i have a couple of school mates who have worked at MoMA in NYC and also at the Fogg here. Might be a good call to get some of this exhibited at Harvard as an extension and illustration of the program (esp. the Carpenter center or the ART would be into this).
    Just some thoughts.
    Great work, defs!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!