I have done a bad job updating everyone on the progress of my Umhlaba Wami Photography Workshops. Things have just been way too busy here. The workshops are going well, and today will be the last lesson. I just wanted to share with you some of their recent photos!
They have really grown in their ability to recognize patterns and angles [the photography stuff], in their understanding of community and cultural issues [life stuff] and their English [language stuff]. I am so proud. I smile and get giddy when I see a good picture! I make sure to take time to speak to each student individually [mentor aspect of the program] and my favorite part is getting to connect with them... but also being able to tell them that they are improving and seeing the shy grins on their faces. I really love these kids.
I hope by showing you these photos you are able to get a peek into their everyday lives. This is where the cultural understanding comes in! But I also hope you enjoy looking at them and experiencing also just a little part of my experience here in South Africa.
Although this is the last time I will be taking that cramped taxi to Snathing, this is not the last time I will see these kids. I have a surprise in store for both you and the kids next week! Until then, I am going to remain quiet. :)
[sorry again about the formatting... when I make it to an internet cafe I will make it more viewer-friendly... and I know I just uploaded a bajillion photos, but I just couldn't narrow it down.]
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!