So to spare the long details, this is my plan for my weeks as a nomadic adventurer:
May 2-3: South Africa-- Start in Cape Town [will fly there the day before]. Views of Table Mountain from Table Bay. Camp on the Orange River, which is South Africa's longest river and the river that forms the border between South Africa and Namibia.
May 4-13: Namibia-- See the beautiful river valley by canoe. Namib-Naukluft National Park. Watch sunrise on the giant Sossusvlei Sand Dunes. Cross the Tropic of Capricorn. See Bushman (San) paintings. See animals in the grasslands of Etosha National Park. Craft market.
May 14-19: Botswana-- Traditional tribal dancing with Bushman (San) community. Mokoro [traditional canoe] ride and walks with the locals. Camp amongst some of the oldest Baobob trees. Sunset river "cruise" to spot some animals by the Chobe River and Chobe National Park.
May 20-21: Zimbabwe-- Victoria Falls [it is supposed to be one of the most amazing things in Africa]. It would be cool to bungy jump from the bridge that joins Zimbabwe to Zambia... but if I have already jumped the world's highest, I can probably stop. But I love white water rafting, so I may try that down the famous Zambezi River.
May 22: Botswana-- travel day ending in Palapye.
May 23: South Africa-- travel day to Johannesburg.
May 24-25: Swaziland-- travel through Mpumalanga. Hiking through Hlane Royal National Park.
May 26-June 2: Mozambique-- White sand beaches of Praia Do Tofo. Bazaruto Archipelago. Excursion to islands [where I camp for 2 days] on the Dhow [traditional sailing vessel of the African east coast]. Snorkel at some point? Travel through coconut plantations. Enjoy lots of beach [although it will be cold :(]. Maputo.
June 3-6: South Africa-- Kruger National Park. Helping release animals back into the wild at Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. Fire dancing by local Shangaan people. Wildlife walk. Panorama Route [including Blyde River Canyon and Bourkes Luck Potholes] back to Johannesburg.
Of course not all of this is guaranteed as many of these things only work as weather permits... and it is becoming winter here now [as in FREEZING] so things may change. And depends on money [sad]. But this sounds like a great plan, right? I don't even mind sleeping in a tent in the wilderness/bush for 35 nights to accomplish it! I also feel I will learn a lot from this trip and I am excited to see other cultures in southern Africa... although my Zulu language ability has improved recently so maybe I should stay here to use it [I can now say. "I am sorry, I don't understand Zulu, I am learning little by little. But, my brain is small and I do not remember well."].
I am coming back to Pietermaritzburg for a week after in order to say goodbye to everyone properly. People threw a fit when I said I was leaving the end of this month, and truth be told... I am going to miss them!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!