Friday, April 9, 2010

:::sigh:::

I am kind of sad.
I wanted to go Mozambique to help out with the community project there, but I was realizing that getting to Mozambique was both very difficult and very expensive. And I thought if it was going to be so expensive and time-consuming anyway, I might as well make stops along the way and see the bits and pieces of Swaziland and Mozambique I would be traveling through on my way. And if it didn't work altogether, just take one of those cheap tourist buses that goes around the area and see parts of the country anyway-- that way I wouldn't have to travel by myself. I spent all morning planning my African adventure.

But when I got back from my lunch break the Thandanani director called me into his office. He is leaving on an overseas trip on Monday until May 10th, and the office had to make budget cuts [aka laying people off] so many shifts are going to be made while he is gone. Meanwhile, someone is going to have to take over certain duties, such as handling all the cash that goes in and out [which is actually a lot of responsibility] and taking minutes at all the meetings. These are now my new duties to help out in the transition, along with filing, doing anything the finance chair needs, and random receptionist duties.
I am glad that I am able to help, but I was really looking forward to my trip. :(
But I should be more excited about being able to help out with an evolving organization that does great things for all these communities. I am being selfish! So this little rant is the end and from now on I will make new plans. Woo.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes you just need a rant to feel better. You still have a long time in Africa, maybe another day you can have your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!