Friday, April 23, 2010

Nothing fixes a Bad Day like an Amazing Friend

Today was not the best day. In fact, as I waited in line at the post office today, right before the power went out, I considered naming today "Brittan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." [If you understand the reference you get brownie points from me!]. My mind was just not at a happy point. 
But then I opened this box from Melissa [my neighbor and best friend for the last 15 or so years], which came just on the right day to cheer me up. No... to completely make me jump for joy in pure delight. And because of this 180-degree mood swing that she has prompted, I know I need to publicly thank her. It is not easy to quantify 15 years of friendship or mail-delivery happiness, but here is my attempt by disclosing the items of my box.
32 hair ties ["ligas" in Spanish... I don't know why I remember that]
24 packs of Reese's peanut butter cups [meaning 48 Reese's peanut butter cups!]
4 chili-covered mango lollipops... Mmm Mexican candy, how I have missed you.
1 box of "Crazy Cores" Skittles [wrapped in Winnie the Pooh wrapping paper]
1 pack of Stride gum
10 issues of Seventeen Magazine [for the kids to use for their memory boxes]
4 rolls of Scotch tape
4 sheets of stickers [including American flag stickers, flower stickers and stickers in Spanish]
2 instant bite and sting relief tube things... which I will be using on my spider bite in a few minutes
10 DVDs! Yay!
22 dollars of promised donation to the Umhlaba Wami Photography Project
1 wonderful Christmas/Birthday card in Spanish and English

I promptly shared my Reese's with others in my office, exclaiming "Happy Friday, straight from America!" and they thought the candy was divine. I am just so happy that I have friends and family caring for me back home, whose love seems to come with perfect timing. Unfortunately my mother's package that was supposed to arrive 2 months ago was eaten up by the African Mail Monster it seems, but I know it would have been great... and considering that Melissa has been my neighbor for over 1.5 decades, I know some of my mother's love is included!

1 comment:

  1. YAY 4 FRIENDS! (i could use a care package or two right about now!).

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!