Do you know why I like gardening? Because you don't have to speak Zulu to water plants. Anyone can water the carrots or the beets-- they don't know the difference. They don't even care. I finally found something that I am good at.
I went with Thabani to Willowfontein to work on the garden at Silwanetshe Primary School. Thandanani goes to schools and households to develop and teach them how to maintain their very own food gardens. At first, we build then fence around the plot, plant the seeds, talk about watering the plants and how/when to harvest. Then we occasionally drop by to check on the maintenance and give more seeds. Then hopefully the community will be able to sustain the garden and profit from the vegetables by having something to feed their children at dinner. This is their food. It reminds me of a popular Chinese proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. This is such a great program for all parties involved.
At first I did not think much of the gardening aspect of the service I am doing, but now I love it. All I really did today was water the plants [as I froze in 12 degree C (54 degree F) misty rainfall], but I could see why this project was so important.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!