I started reading Nelson Mandela's biography a couple years ago, and remembered that his given name was Rolihlahla, meaning "pulling a branch from a tree;" its colloquial meaning is "troublemaker." I am sure when his father named him that he had no idea what kind of storms he would be stirring in South Africa-- but I am sure we are all glad that he did!
So yesterday Auntie Barbs gave me a Zulu name: Thandeka.* It comes from the word "ukuthanda" meaning "to love." Thandeka translates into "lovable/beloved," as she has decided that I am easy to love and give love back to. Awww.
Many Zulu names are quite beautiful, especially if you know the meaning behind them and pronounce them correctly. A funny Zulu name that I came across was Ntombifuthi, meaning "it's a girl again." There seems to be a Zulu word for every thought or emotion you could have. I am having now looking at a Zulu name dictionary and figuring out what my co-workers' names mean... apparently I work with "surprise!," "rest," "look after the nations," etc.
Nhlanlha, whose name means "luck," just told me that he was given that name because the two babies born before him both died within the first few weeks of being born. He just told me that the elders in your family [gogos] name you around 5 weeks after you are born, and you stay with them for that time so they can find a name to give you. I guess that before that time your name is just "baby."
And there is your Zulu culture lesson for the day!
Sincerely,
Thandeka :)
*quick note on pronunciation: "th" in Zulu does not give the "th" sound you think of... it is actually an aspirated T sound, like the T in "tin." Just like "ch" doesn't make the sound like "church," but rather the aspirated C-click... okay, clicks are complicated so I will save that for another time. But I will say that "sh" is still the shhh as in "shoe" that we all know, so rest assured.
Wow! That is really cool. I love the way names there mean things from the very simple to the complicated. Thank you for the lesson, other cultures fascinate me. :) Jessica
ReplyDelete