Friday, November 6, 2009

"And she is single."

I really should not allow people to introduce me anymore. When the older people I work with introduce me, it usually is my name, that I am from overseas, and that I am not married. What? Why is that in my introduction?
Even today Sibongile introduced me to the guy who is my translator for my children evaluation today. It went something like this:
"This is uBrittan. uBrittan Smith, from overseas. And, you are both single."
I looked at her. "What? Sbo, I just showed you a picture of my isoka [boyfriend]."
"Yes, but you are not married. So, you are single!"

It is technically true: angishadile [I am not married], anginabantwana [I do not have any children]. But! But this needs to stop. You can't introduce me to every young South African man as single, they will get the wrong impression. This, coupled with the fact that Phumlani tells me every week I need to find a South African boyfriend ["Your boyfriend in the US wont know, he is overseas! Just watch, you will get married before you leave and he never has to know"], makes me laugh. Oh man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!