Friday, November 27, 2009

URT: Storms River

15 November

Storms River lies just next to the Tsitsikamma Forest, and is a huge adventure spot. We were initially attracted to the "black water" tubing there, but after hearing that it really sucked from other backpackers, and having already gone white water rafting in high school, I had no desire to float in an inflated tire down a river. But suddenly I had an uncontrollably urge to seize the moment-- I just happened to be at the site of the world's highest bungy jump [216m]... so why not tackle it now? Think about it: I have always thought I would rather go sky diving than bungy jumping-- bungy jumping always seemed the scariest and I didn't think I would ever do it. But, if I was next to the world's highest... and it is relatively cheap [although professionally done, no worries]... why not do it? Seriously, if I can do this I can do ANYTHING, right? So, I did it.


Marita and I took a zipline to the center of the bridge which was scary in itself, but nothing considering the jump that was ahead of me. After some dancing to keep myself warm and to hopefully dance away the jitters, it was my turn. I was scared. I can't even dive into a pool of water, how was I going to dive off a bridge? But somehow I managed to do it... and the first few seconds are absolutely terrifying-- I was just waiting to finally feel some tension in the rope attached to my feet, hoping that they didn't forget to attach it on the other side. All was good, and the guys that were in charge of it were surprised at my [small] knowledge of Xhosa language and I think enjoyed helping me out.

Although we had paid for one night stay at Tsitsikamma Backpackers, the place was a little too clean and too resort-y for the backpacking feel we had acquired... and since we were a day behind anyway [from Coffee Bay] we instead took an overnight bus to our last stop: CAPE TOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!