Friday, November 20, 2009

Back in Pietermaritzburg

That was a fun road trip! I am back in rainy/thundering/freezing/storming Pietermaritzburg and grateful that I had nearly two weeks of amazing weather while traveling down the coast!

I have lots of pictures and loads of updates... and I will do those when I have the time to do them... maybe next Monday. But I wanted to let you all know I am safe and sound.

I was also incredibly happy to have an awesome package waiting for me [actually, being held hostage by angry postal workers who didn't want to give it to me] when I got back. THANK YOU MOMMMY. My mother can predict the future; here's why I say this:
I have taken a fancy to the "book exchange" shelf at hostels over the course of my travels. I always sit there and stare at all the books, looking to see if there is one worth giving up my current book for. Unfortunately, there usually isn't as 80% are usually in Dutch, and then 10% of the books are in some other language, and then that only leaves 10% of the books in English... and they are usually travel guides/lame books. But I have found this weird attraction to cookbooks... I guess I am just desperate to learn how to cook more than hotdogs, potatoes, and pasta. I found this book from 1981 called One Pot Cooking. "One pot cooking?!" I thought, "this is perfect... because all I have in my kitchen is a pot!" I flipped through the pages and I was in heaven-- tons of recipes that I could cook in a single pot. A bit later I look through the book again and realize that the illustrations of the pots have knobs and cords coming out the bottom. "Please tell me this is not a book about crockpots... I don't have one of those!" But alas-- it was. I don't have a slow cooker! So I didn't ditch the book at the next hostel but instead kept it just in case I could find a way to modify those recipes for actual pots on a stove.
Today I got a package from my mother packed full of Halloween decorations [we will use them as Fall decorations], packets of hot chocolate [which is great because it is really cold right now], my track spikes [!!!], some other goodies, and a miniature crock pot full of seasoning spices. Can my mom predict the future? I think she can. How did she know that I would pick up that book when she sent the box a month ago? I don't know. Perhaps she is just a genius.

1 comment:

  1. wow that's awesome! What a sweet lady! I LOVE my crockpot and use it regularly. I like to line it with foil to make clean up much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!