So today I embark on an 11-day adventure to Cape Town. It is the road trip of all road trips! I have always wanted to go on a road trip, fantasizing about a cross country road trip with different sets of friends for years... but it never happened. I will admit that I have been on many short road trips, the 6-8 hour trip back and forth from Utah ever summer when I was younger. But this one! This one is taking a long time, making it adventurous, haha. Marita and I are taking the Baz Bus, which is a backpackers bus that drops off at hostels around South Africa. It is a pretty cool system, and although I am not extremely thrilled about being smashed in a bus with a bunch of smelly French backpackers [I was actually warned about the smelly French backpackers], the bus turned out to be more affordable than renting a car + petrol + tolls.
Above I attempted to make a handy little map of the route we are going, and below is a schedule:
8 Nov: PMB --> Durban (1 hour on the bus)
9 Nov: Durban --> Mthatha [to Coffee Bay] (8 hours on the bus)
10 Nov: Coffee Bay
11 Nov: Mthatha --> Port Elizabeth (8 hours on the bus)
12 Nov: Port Elizabeth
13 Nov: Port Elizabeth --> Storms River (4 hours on the bus)
14 Nov: Storms River --> Cape Town (11 hours on the bus... oh my.)
15 Nov - 18 Nov: Cape Town!
19 Nov: Cape Town --> Durban [by air]
Soooooo that's pretty cool. I have been saving a lot of money by being fiscally responsible... and after this trip I am sure all of that money saving plus more will be totally gone. But it is okay, I needed to do such a thing while I was here, and I am sure at some point I will try to see Lesotho/Swaziland/Mozambique while I am here. I love traveling, even if it is for hours at a time squashed between smelly backpackers who haven't showered in days. But who knows? Maybe this trip will change that and I will once again decide I hate traveling [a sentiment I felt after almost not being able to return home from Indonesia a few years ago]. And hostels are super high-tech nowadays so I am sure I will be able to find internet along the way to update you on my travels.
Wo0o0o0o0o!!!!
have fun! be safe!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! Good luck!
ReplyDelete