Friday, February 19, 2010

And the KwaZulu Natal Provincial Champion is....

... [drum roll please]... Brittan Smith!

This past Saturday was the KwaZulu Natal Championships for track and field. It was strange because there was hardly anyone there. Apparently all the people that do athletics in this province are under the age of 19 [this was a Seniors/Masters meet]. So I had 4 other people to compete against in long jump.... nice.

My long jump series was awful-- I was all over the place and spent the first three jumps just trying to figure out how to get on the board [I was fouling one minute, 3 feet behind the board the other... oh man]. This is a natural consequence of never actually practicing long jump and not having anyone there to at least help me guess where to approach from during the warm-ups. And I have lost all speed. All of it. I am actually mourning the loss of my speed. I miss it.
Fortunately there were only 5 of us, so we all made it to finals and I got 6 jumps. My last jump was when I was actually remembering how to long jump and I think it was pretty decent, but I fouled by about 2 centimeters. Man! But in the end, I had a 5.55m, which doesn't bother me because it is still over 18-feet, and a gold medal. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!