In attendance: Bongani (who fell asleep for the last half of the game), Sphamandla [Roger] (who also fell asleep), JP (who drove an hour just to come see the game with us), Gugu (Bongani's girlfriend who was asleep before the game started), Nhlanhla (Bongani's brother who went to bed by the second quarter), Mona (who went home before the game started), Meredith (a clinic volunteer from Indianapolis... a diehard fan... who fell asleep during the game), and me (who never once fell asleep during the game, thank you very much). Needless to say, a 1am football game that lasts 4 hours is hard to full off-- especially when most of the people watching don't understand the game.
My favorite part of the night was when Bongani said, "Wait! What just happened?!" "Bongani, that is the kickoff." Haha. What really annoyed me was that ESPN didn't show any of the Supe Bowl commercials. How dare they. I heard they were hilarious. But no, I had to sit through ESPN commercials that played over and over again. Did you know ESPN is the number one channel to watch college basketball? I know, because they told me about 17 times instead of showing me Super Bowl commercials. Ugh.
So we were off to a decent start in the game. I was even able to explain the first three points to the boys that were watching. Then it got too close for comfort. I spent the last quarter rocking back and forth in the upright fetal position. And then the Saints were ahead. I continued rocking, then yelling at the screen and waving my hands. "WHY ISN'T ANYONE THERE?! GET HIM GET HIM!! UGHHHHHH!!!!" Why so many blown coverages?! I will admit, it was a good run by Tracy Porter, but I just wish I could have seen it from the Colts instead. I am sure that pass that flew into the hands of Porter, who then made like a bullet to the inzone, will probably be the most highlighted part of this game. 74-yards. That was a great play. I continued rocking back and forth, looking like a crazy person, and when the score went to 31-17 I thought I was going to cry. It was over. I knew it was over. Over! It can't be! No!!! No. No.... [[[wimper]]]
How dare you, New Orleans Saints. How dare you! I am angry. Still. Angry. This is why I am not supposed to get emotionally invested in a team. The Super Bowl was much more fun when I didn't have sides to chose, and didn't understand the game... when it was just a day to eat lots of junk food. I hate losing. Fine, New Orleans... you have worked hard to build a team and rebuild a city. I will give you this one. I accept defeat.
Anyway, as you can see from the before and after photos above, the last half of the game involved one half of the "party" sleeping, Roger and JP arguing over who could run the fastest 400m race, and me... rocking back and forth in the red bean bag chair, nervously devouring an entire bag of sweet chili Dorritos in an attempt to calm the nerves.
The game ended at 5am. It was already getting light outside, the roosters crowing and the town waking up to go to work, so Meredith and I were able to walk home by ourselves. Tired. Depressed. I went to bed at 5:30am, and woke up at 7am because it was already 100 degrees [not exaggerating] and I couldn't sleep through the heat. So now I am exhausted, but trying to get myself psyched to teach today. I have a headache and my eyes sting with fatigue. And I am quickly learning that it is possible to sweat out of every single pore on your body. I think my fingers are sweating. I will survive.
The heat, defeat, and lack of sleep wont get me down!!!
WOW, I didn't realize you were living where you are living. WILD. So, I'm glad you found my blog and left a comment, so I could find you. Hey, can you go to church over there? Hope so. Anyway, take care
ReplyDelete