Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Night Lights

My goal for my second track meet was to simply do better than the first and have some fun. We drove back out to Durban and had a very small meet under the stadium lights on a Friday night. Awesome. 
Working off of spontaneity, I signed myself up for 4 events to relive my high school days were I would be competing the entire time the meet was happening. It was tiring, but a lot of fun. I can't wait until my spikes get here! Then my competitors should be scared.
I first went over to run the 200m. Ha! 200m is a surprisingly far distance to sprint when you aren't ready for it. My goal was to run in the 26s, and I was incredibly happy when I saw that I had run a 25.90 in sneakers. That was much better than I had expected. In fact, I am going to pat myself on the back for that one.
From the finish line I next went to accompany my teammate Phuti at high jump [as she was the only one competing]. The women there really had no idea how to officiate high jump, so it was a mess. I was also just running towards the bar and jumping with no set steps or method so I am sure I looked pretty silly, but I think I actually did pretty well concerning the circumstances. I am not sure where I finished, but I think I jumped at least 1.50m, which is 4'11", which is pretty cool considering that was around where I started high jumping back in the day when I trained for it.
Right after the high jump I watched the end of the mens long jump and got ready to long jump against my 5 competitors, all girls between the ages of 13-17. Most all of them were Afrikaans and they thought I was the coolest person ever. They couldn't believe that I long jumped so much farther than them, and I kept explaining that I am also 22 years old so I should be long jumping farther than them... haha. I wanted to do better than the last meet with my 5.34m... and I wanted to jump at least 18 feet. I had 3 jumps and on my last one jumped 5.51m, which is almost an inch over 18 feet. Cool. And yes, I beat my competitors and later even let them swoon over my American accent.
Lastly, I went to run the 100m. My legs were exhausted but my spirits were high! I was a little sad to not have any starting blocks for a race in which starting blocks are so crucial, but I wasn't wearing spikes either so I couldn't care too much. I was once again burned by the India national team [they are training here in South Africa or something], and have absolutely no idea what my time was. But, it was a fun ending to a long day and I still love track and field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!