My clothes smell nasty. I don't really know what to do about them, other than walk around town carrying a breeze of rancid clothes with me, sharing my misery with everyone who passes by.
So on Saturday morning I woke up early in the morning because I was just too hot to sleep. Saturday was a very, very hot day, 95+ degrees and it was even 80-degrees at 6:30pm. Waking up to intense sunlight, I thought it was a great day to do my laundry.
I don't have a dryer... and I don't have a working washer, either. I felt so independent as I went to the store a bought some detergent made specifically for handwashing clothes [most people in South Africa hand wash their clothes, at least in the townships]. I thought I was so clever when I constructed a clothes line out of a phone line that I had found, tying two phone lines together around trees and fences. Voila! Clothes line.
I scrubbed and washed my clothes... basically ALL of my clothes because I was on my last pair of undies, and worked hard to rinse the soap out of them and ring them out. It is tough, especially when coming to sweatpants, jeans, and towels... my arms actually hurt in the end. I strung out all of my clothes on the "clothes line" and was happy to have so much sun out.
Then I went on that picnic with the YFC kiddos. Then the storm came. Then I came home the next morning to find my clothes mostly all off the clothes line, wet in a large pile of mud. Awesome. Fortunately at the market I also bought some clothes pins along with my $1.11 cookbook. I took the clothes, soaked them again, rinsed them again, and hung them outside. And then it rained again. So then I put my clothes in my room, hanging them anywhere I could. Now my clothes and my room have that awful smell that comes with wet towels stay on the bathroom floor too long. Ughhh!
Maybe I should just walk into town with my dirty clothes, use the laundry mat and hope that no one steals my underwear. So much awesomeness and independence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh no! so much work! If you wait with your clothes you can kung fu anyone who tries to steal your underwear. And you can learn how to cook A things while you wait. :)
ReplyDelete