Friday, October 23, 2009

T.G.I.F... part 2

So I walked into town for 20 minutes to buy some groceries and get some bug spray to stop the ant parade in my kitchen. I would not necessarily say that I am the neatest person in the world, but I really don't like bugs and I really don't like messy kitchens.
My roommates were kind enough to leave me some parting gifts.
  1. The first would be the before mentioned ant parade through my kitchen and another ant family journeying into my living room to eat whatever food that is smashed in the middle of the floor. I felt a bad that killing the ants while saying "die! dieeeeee!" was so incredibly gratifying. Muah ha haaaa I'm evil.
  2. Another would be a small ball of braided extensions out of one of their heads, just chillin' on my windowsill. Plus my scissors that was use to cut them out of her head when it got tangled in her hair tie. I am so lucky to find such precious clumps of hair in my room.
  3. I also got my Zulu dictionary back! The one I let them borrow and then they temporarily lost it in training center/held it hostage until I did their homework.
  4. My one good pan. It's handle was a bit wobbly, but it was the only pan I had and it had no holes in the bottom! I found it on top of the stove with leftover oil and sausage gunk from the morning still in it. When I cleaned it I saw that my non-stick pan had gone to battle with a metal fork and came out with large battle wound scratches... my pan, nonstick-no-more. :::sigh:::
  5. Lastly, oil stains and splatters all over my kitchen. Everywhere. Aren't they kind? I actually had to borrow a stovetop from someone at work because the ones I had were so low-powered I couldn't cook anything... and now it is caked with oil and the once-shiny silver coils are an oil-splottered black. Ugh! Anyone out there know how to fix this so I can return it as I got it? Oil is absolutely amazing-- so resilient. I tried a sponge, then tried steal wool... but it perseveres. I just can't get it off of my stove, and didn't even attempt the yellow splotters on my white wall.
After I was done cleaning as much as I could, I was too tired to cook dinner. But! I had splurged and bought the new multi-grain Cheerios that just made their way to South Africa! So I had Cheerios for dinner... and then when I got up to get some more I vomited the Cheerios back up. Oops... too much information? Sorry. I think I hadn't had milk in so long that my body freaked out a bit... needless to say, I didn't go for seconds.
I need to stop being mean. I am mean. I do understand that this was the first time that these young women had been out of their township and I was the big, bad intimidating umuntu omhlophe ["white person"], so of course there was going to be a bit of culture clash. And I am still not bitter, it is just a funny situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!