Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ugogo Isibusiso

Doing these evaluations for Thandanani is a bit terrifying. My first evaluation session was with the volunteers on Tuesday, and after I had thanked them for their time and participation, I left the room to put the dirty cups in the sink. When I came back, they were still there. "We need our money." What? Apparently I was supposed to reimburse them for their transportation right there on the spot, an important detail that I didn't know about. After running around the office and trying to figure out the situation, they left with some money 20 minutes later.
Today I did my first round of caregivers. I was already slightly terrified because I knew it would be much harder to communicate with this group as most of them knew no English at all. I walked in to see rows of elderly women with stern faces waiting for me. How intimidating. I know angry old women can be vicious, so I just didn't want to make them angry.
Thinking about it now, I cannot believe I was that afraid of these women. They aren't intimidating at all-- in fact, I think these might be the nicest people I have ever met. Once they started talking I could see how nice and gentle these women are. I loved their smiles and couldn't help but to notice how beautifully they had aged. I really believe what made them so beautiful is how appreciative they were of all the small things-- this was so apparent that even though I didn't know exactly what they were saying I could see the gratitude in their eyes. After the evaluation finished one of the women stood up and asked everyone to thank God for all that he has provided for them and for the help of Thandanani... immediately the women were out of their seats and all saying their own prayers out loud, thanking God over and over again [that is some of the Zulu that I understand]. They all ended together in the Lord's Prayer and then continued to sing Halleluia together. They had turned the evaluation session into a small church service. On their way out they all gave me a hug and thanked me [even though I didn't really do anything], asking God to bless me. The experience meant a lot to me.

Nearly everyone told me that I would need tough skin to work with the poor in South Africa, that it would be hard for me to hold back tears as I walked through the townships. After being here for a month and a half and having seen children with no clothes and houses with no roofs, I kind of feel bad because I haven't had the urge to cry at all... until today when I got a bit emotional watching these women. These are elderly women living off of pennies every day, doing all they can to raise orphaned children to live happy, healthy lives. They live in deteriorating mud buildings that leak when it rains and have trouble finding food for dinner... yet they are so happy and so grateful. Nothing is taken for granted. They have so little when it comes to worldly resources, but when it comes to what you can't put a price on... they have so much.
I really admire that and I only hope that one day I can also be that person that can teach by example the power of gratitude to others that I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! If you have anything you are curious about and you want me to blog about, leave those questions here,too. I would love to hear from you!