As summer rolls around, it is getting pretty darn hot over here in South Africa. Knowing that I was going to embark on hours of walking the other day, I decided to finally break out my shorts. As I was walking around I noticed that I didn't see any other women wearing shorts... although not all, most of the women here wear skirts. But some still wear pants and on rare occassion I will see younger women wearing shorts.
But today, I didn't see anybody. This made me a bit self-conscious. I already rolled down the hem of my shorts to make them as long as possible... Maybe no one else was wearing shorts because they knew the afternoon was going to end in pouring rain.
During my long journey I had to walk faster and faster to avoid eye contact with all the men calling to me, asking me where I was from, trying to get me to walk with them. Because I am obviously foreign I get this often... but this time it was ridiculous, almost frustrating.
I thought it must have been the shorts. Man, was that a mistake. At the end of the day I was talking to someone and realized that yes, my issue was the shorts. You see, to the Zulu the thighs are the most sexual part of the woman's body. Showing your thighs is a huge turn-on as they are seen as highly private and beautiful. You could walk around completely bare-breasted and people probably wouldn't care. Boobs out? No problem. Thighs showing? Well, then you have a parade of men following you around town. Go figure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LMAO! Favorite line, "I thought it must have been the shorts. Man, was that a mistake."
ReplyDeleteWe live, we learn, we switch to skirts. Funny story. :)
This reminds me so much of Madrid. I went running periodically (in shorts, of course) and would get strange looks and cat calls I could hear over my music. Apparently the Spanish girls can wear miniskirts so short they barely exist, but shorts are weird. And a girl running is weird. So me=shorts+running caused a lot of double-takes.
ReplyDeleteWow! Who woulda thought? At least you know now!
ReplyDeleteeyah, B. that is definitely the case.
ReplyDeletei suppose, "when in rome"...
should i send you cute skirt sets??
When I was in Kenya, if you wore shorts, you would be considered a child and immature. Women wore skirts that went to at least their ankles while men wore full length pants. Only boys and girls under the age of 10 wore shorts or anything that was knee-level. It was ok for foreigner women to wear pants (they understood that cultural difference).
ReplyDeleteToo bad no one told you this before... do you have capris you can wear?
- Mary